Handyman Plumbing Repairs MN

Avoid Household Plumbing Emergencies

Learning how to avoid plumbing problems can save you a lot of money and a lot of headache. A little prevention can go a long way. Taking some preventive measures can avoid most situations. The unsightly water stain in the ceiling may likely indicate a more significant problem with your roof. One leaky pipe or dripping faucet can do a lot of damage. If it is not repaired quickly, it can even lead to mold infestation.

Water Damage From Plumbing Problems

If you have had a water damage event in your home, and the water has been cleaned up, you might think your problems are over. You may think you are only dealing with water damage. That could be far from the case if you soon discover you have mold growing anywhere that the water affected. The possibility of mold is greater depending on the amount and how long it was there.

Water Damage and Your Health

One thing overlooked by many homeowners dealing with water damage in their Minnesota home is that their living conditions are potentially extremely unhealthy. Mold, mildew, and other fungi will grow and thrive on all damp organic material, and it can grow in as little as 24-48 hours. The worst part about mold is that it can make homeowners and their children extremely sick!  If you are not aware, mold can definitely make you sick.

Sometimes the mold will not always be growing where it can be seen. It is notorious for developing and growing under the floors, in the walls, or under cabinets where it is not noticeable
Mold from leaky pipes

Mold can begin to grow anywhere that was wet enough, long enough to get it started.  This can be disastrous to the value of your home. Mold can grow for ages behind walls and not be detected until the walls are taken out.  This is why so many people can develop allergies and illnesses that they cannot explain.

Look in the cupboards, look at your pipes and look for signs of water damage.  Signs of water damage include: leaks, musty odor, warped wood, drooping wood, swelling, bubbling or obvious rot or mold.  That one tiny drip under your sink that you think may be harmless could turn into a serious mold problem that is extremely hazardous to your health.

Molds and other fungi can adversely affect human health through three processes:

  1. Allergic reactions
  2. Infections
  3. And toxic poisoning.

Exposure to high levels of mold in enclosed areas such as indoors is not healthy for anyone. However, the following individuals are at a higher risk than others for adverse health effects;

• infants      • children      • elderly      • immune compromised patients      • pregnant
women      • individuals with existing respiratory conditions and allergies.

Breathing toxigenic mold spores can affect the immune system, nervous system, liver, kidneys, and blood. Some experts believe toxic mold may even be responsible for certain neurological disorders.

People with serious allergies to molds may have more severe reactions such as fever and shortness of breath and asthma attacks. Additionally, people with chronic lung illnesses, such as bronchitis, emphysema and other obstructive lung diseases can develop severe infections in their lungs and breathing passages.

With so much compelling evidence that overexposure to molds of any kind is unhealthy, why take chances?

Leaking Sink? Dripping Faucet? Broken Toilet?

Without the right upkeep, plumbing issues can become a nightmare for a homeowner. A dripping faucet or tiny leak in a pipe can be disastrous and very expensive. Once a pipe leak is discovered, it must be addressed quickly and appropriately. Delayed or improper treatment can multiply repair costs significantly as well as make your family sick.

Some plumbing issues are fast fixes and with just a little know how there are a few ordinary repairs that can be accomplished by a homeowner. However, it is important to know when a Minnesota Handyman is needed.


Comments are closed.